I am sure you’ve heard it by now: The key to Great Skin (TM) and Being Thin (TM) is all based on water!
Weirdly enough – H2O is the key to everything!
Now, I love my morning cappucino (and my lunchtime latte … and my mid afternoon bica), and my before-bed tea with milk and honey. I love my glass of wine with dinner and the occasional cosmo or, lately more like, bourbon-based cocktail, too. I have almond or coconut milk in the morning with granola, and I tend to grab fresh-pressed juices when on the go. However, I know I need water to live. Better – I need water to function properly.
Now I know your Mothers always said this, and I know Cosmo and its ilk have been claiming it for years – but since coming to the US, I have realized why this is a thing that is always on the news: There are just so many non-water options here, why not partake in something with more, well, taste?
What I mean is, I have been living in California for a year, and except for the huge craze for Coconut Water, most of the beverages I see people drinking (alcohol and coffee related beverages excepted) are carbonated, sugary or some combination of the two. Don’t get me wrong: I am sure it’s much the same everywhere else in the world, I just think my eyes have opened to it here, since I am in the land where you always carry something to drink because it’s so damned hot.
But guys – water is good for you! Water is great for you! Not just for your skin or your waist side – but for you. Like, you know, for your whole functioning.
The majority of our body makeup is … you guessed it – water.
So, feed the beast, you guys – and I have just the ticket!
Agua Fresca is a big thing here.
Basically, it’s water with fruit (or cucumbers or herbs) in it. It seems to be hugely popular in the Mexican comminity in LA and I just love it – always have.
Spiking your 8 glasses of water a day with something fruity or tasty makes sense – and hell, if it just encourages you to drink those 8 glasses, do it!
For me – I am good with infusing the flavours of fruits and herbs in water, I don’t need to go full out agua fresca (which usually requires a simple syrup) but I like just a hint of something in my water. So instead of agua fresca, I go for simple infused water. That is – I slice up a bunch of fruits and leave them in a pitcher of cold water for a couple of hours and then partake of the result!
And it is so, so, so easy.
Here are some of my favourite combos:
- Strawberries, Orange and Mint: Take about 10 strawberries, an orange sliced medium-thick and a large sprig of mint and stick it into a jar with some ice. Fill to the brim with water and leave in the fridge to infuse.
- Orange, grapefuit and Basil: The same as above, but slightly less grapefruit than orange.
- Watermelon and Mint: Stick in your cubed watermelon, it will float like ice cubes.
- Lemon and Rosemary: I usually cut these a little thinner than my orange pieces.
- Lemon and Lavender: Remember – a little bit of lavender goes a long way.
Really, you can just cut up your favourite fruits and have in. I would recommend it! After it infuses, it makes a refreshing drink!
Just a few tips to remember:
- Ice. Use it. Seriously – Put in a lot of ice, then fill it up with water and stick it in the fridge. It will be that much better.
- Leave it to infuse for a couple of hours in the fridge. It takes about that long.
- Switch out the fruit at a minimum of every two days – after that the fruit gets soggy and icky.
- Manhandle the herbs before you add them – either tear the leaves or muddle them
Anything to get your 8 glasses in! 🙂