I am no stranger to blogs – I had two previously, one for the review of books and another for the writing of them. And I loved the interact with readers and other bloggers and FB friends on what I posted. But I never got the hang of a theme, really.
And so, this time around, on a new type of blog – I think I am going to start it off by having categories of things (like labels) that will be features all month long, that point out my interests in this blog. I am starting out with ten broad subjects of which I like to talk about. They are:
(1) Book Reviews. Tentatively titled The Crooked Bookshelf, reminiscent of my old blog. In this I intend to write book reviews – I read extensively and love to share. I don’t limit myself to any one genre, so I can get a bit crazy, and I don’t limit myself to any particular format – “real” books, e-books or audiobooks – all good for me. I will try and make this a weekly colomn, and add tidbits about books I have read in the past, as well – for example, write one week about the novel Jane Eyre, though I first read it in grade 9, and have since probably read it a dozen more times.
(2) Cooking/Baking. Tentatively The Yellow Kitchen. Yes, my kitchen is yellow. Sunny Yellow, to be specific. I like to bake – I grew up in the kitchen, next to my mother, so I learned fast and enjoy it. I don’t think I am at the level of some people on the blogosphere, with their extensive recipes and such, but I make a hash of it. Again, I try not to limit myself – except … I don’t eat red meat. The Partner does, so I do partake in making red meat occassionally, but in general,I stay away.
(3) Writing. Tentatively The Gilded Ink Pot. Yes, I know, enough with the names! But as you probably surmised – I love to write. I have been writing stories and such for as long as I remember. Usually long rambling things, but lately more concise shorter stories. This is the column where I intend to post on inspirations, ask for help in reviewing my own work and in general keep the world appraised of my luck in making a has of writing.
(4) Law. Probably going to be called Bar Tales (ha ha, I know, I am hilarious with the puns …). I studied law in Canada and the US, and there is one thing that I noticed about laws everywhere – they can be infuriating, baffling and hilarious. And in this column I will explore them all …
(5) Homey Things. Funnily enough, to be called The Crowded Condo, because … I have a crowded condo. That is increasingly getting more crowded because I am a little bit of a pack rat … But anyway, this will be a catalogue of everything Homey: what I want the rooms in my condo to look like, what I wish I could do to certain walls in the condo, etc. Like those home décor blogs I always run into when Googling things like “Butcher Block – easy install” and “If my walls are yellow – what colours go with cabinets?”.
(6) Movies/TV. I am a huge consumer of all things fictional. So my column Reeled Frenzy, will explore all things video – from documentaries that made me think on TVO, to dramas that get into my blood and movies that have me punching the air in frustration. Like remakes/reboots/reimaginings … sigh.
(7) Pinterest. This will be called The Challenge – and it will essentially be me trying to mimic some awesomeness that was pinned on Pinterest. Wish me luck …
(8) Family. I have a huge family, with a close assortment of friends that I also consider family. The only thing they all have in common is that they’re crazy … so this column, which will chronicle the craziness, will be called The Eccentrics, and as my Mother has already told me – I am not to publish it … though I will. I be a rebel.
(9) Other Blogs. I find continuous inspiration in other blogs, and this column will explore that – with links and maybe even interviews! – so that everyone else can be inspired too! I think that the development of a blogging community is a wonderful way to broaden my own experiences and my circle of friends. This has no real title yet, though I am toying with Blogosphere Calling, what do you all think?
(10) Everything else. Called Under the Sun, will chronicle anything else that crosses my mind.
To add to this I intend to have lots of pictures and questions – so feel free to hang out a while!